Monday, February 16, 2009

Alcohol :D

Since school started, I've been busy studying and finishing the application for the exchange. I also applied to volunteer to fill tax return for low income residents and it should start in 2 weeks. Two weeks ago, I started to take wine education and testing classes at Concordia every Thursday (50$ for 12 hrs; 6 classes). It's super cool. :D

First class, the instructor taught us how to enjoy the wine by looking at the liquid, by smelling it and tasting it. We tasted 2 French wines; 1 white and 1 red. The white is Dom Brial Muscat de Rivesalle (Rousillon) 2006. The red is Domaine Labranche-Lafont 2005. The instructor said that wine is really a good investment and the return is high. So, give up stocks and start collecting wines hehehe

The red was dry and the white was really sweet. Wine is like love at first sight. If the color doesn't appeal to you or you don't like the taste the first time, then you don't like the wine. I skipped last week's class because of exams, I hope that I didn't miss the lesson on varieties of grapes.

Then, I just remembered that my parents received bottles of alcohol from friends a long time ago, but they've never opened them. They were hidden in the garde à manger for 10 years I think....lol I found:




Johnnie Walker Red Label Scotch Whisky
, Distilled, Blended and Bottled in Scotland 40% alc./vol. 750mL

It's sold around $30 now and it's the cheapest Johnnie Walker Whisky. The most expensive is the Blue Label.



Rémy Martin Fine Champagne Cognac V.S.O.P
, CLS Remy Cointreau - Cognac France H.k.D.N.P 40% alc./vol. 1000mL

It's the famous Champagne with the Centaur design. Champagne is a sparkling white wine produced only in Grande Champagne or Petite Champagne of France. A 750mL bottle is sold at $76, but I can't find the price for 1000mL bottle.




Grand Marnier - Lapostolle Liqueur Cordon Rouge Paris - France
40% alc./vol. 750mL

It's a citrus liquor. ($45)




When I went to California, I bought a white wine, Mélange à Trois 2007 California White Wine from Folie à Deux Winery St-Helena, Napa County. It's a blend based on 3 varietals: Chardonnay, Moscato and Chenin Blanc.

The instructor said that the Californian and Australian wines have a lot of potential and they are on the rise.

2 comments:

CYYYNNN said...

Hmmm! This post on alcohol is quite interesting!! :) Looking forward to the next posts on acohol ;)

Hehehe!!

Connie W. said...

Yeyyy Thx!!!We have to do a wine and cheese :D